Where To Hunt Wild, Free-Ranging Elk In Texas And What Biologists And Landowners Are Doing To Increase Their Numbers.
EP 06: Where To Hunt Free Ranging Bull Elk In Texas With Ricky Garcia Of Mesquite Thorn Outfitters
South Texas hunting guide Ricky Garcia of Mesquite Thorn Outfitters gives us an in-depth perspective on free range Elk hunting in Texas and the efforts biologists and land owners are doing to help preserve this majestic western icon in the lone star state.
- Tell us more about Elk hunting in Texas. We are talking wild, free ranging Elk that are native to the mountains of West Texas, is that right? The species found here in Texas are Rocky Mountain Elk?
- Elk live on some of the most beautiful terrain we have in Texas, but it’s also some of the most treacherous. Tell us what to expect on a wild Texas Elk hunt as far as hiking, climbing and roughing it out in the mountains of West Texas.
- Would you say Elk hunting in Texas is growing in interest? And more importantly, is there enough wild Elk in numbers to sustain a growing interest? What are land owners and biologists doing to increase numbers?
- Elk in Texas are considered “Exotic” resulting in an open season year-around. Tell us the best time of year to hunt bulls in Texas?
- As we are doing this podcast, it just hit me that Texas has it all – Whitetail, Mule deer, the long list of Exotics and every hunter’s dream – a big bull Elk. What’s it like being a guide and outfitter in Texas to offer all this?
The Rocky Mountain Elk is one of the most intensely managed species in Texas – thanks to Ricky Garcia of Mesquite Thorn Outfitters for sharing some of his over 20 year experience in the hunting and guiding industry.
Find out more about Elk, native and exotic hunting in Texas: www.mesquitethornoutfitters.com
Additional Info & Resources:
You May Also Like:
Do you enjoy our content? Make a contribution to keep WildBuck producing quality content.
Carlos Riojas is the Creator of WildBuck and contributor and editor to various entities in the outdoor industry. He was fortunate to be introduced to hunting and fishing at a very young age where he grew up in a small rural town just southwest of San Antonio, Texas. He enjoys the beauty, serenity and excitement that is had in the wild waters and woods of Texas. His passions are hunting, archery, fly fishing, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding and wildlife photography. His favorite animal is the Whitetail Deer.